Thursday, July 5, 2007

Welcome!!

Welcome to Jewish Men Can Cook Too! This blog is a joint venture between Rebel With A Cause and Am Kshe Oref. I'm a guy (Am Kshe Oref). I also happen to be a stay at home/work at home dad. When I got married, I found myself with a knack for cooking pretty anything I try.

Our goal here is to teach men that cooking isn't only women's work. It can be a joint venture, or even a solo. Personally, I'm the cook and baker in my home and I usually don't even let my wife in the kitchen!! :) When we first got married and someone made a sarcastic remark about her not cooking and me doing the cooking, her response was, "I don't like to cook. My husband LOVES to cook. And bake. I love what he cooks. And bakes. Why should I cook if he wants to?"

Now, as with myself, I am sure there are many wives out there who won't let their husbands in the kitchen and don't want to share the cooking with him. That's fine. This blog isn't really for their husbands, except to say this:

HELP YOUR WIFE WITH ALL THE REST OF THE HOUSEWORK!! SHE'S NOT YOUR SLAVE, MAID, OR PERSONAL SERVANT. SHE IS YOU CO-CAPTAIN AND YOU NEED TO SHARE THE DUTIES WITH HER EQUALLY. IF MEANS YOU NEED TO DO LAUNDRY OR CLEAN/VACUUM/BATHE THE KIDS, THEN DO IT!! WE'RE ALL TIRED AT THE END OF THE DAY. THIS DOESN'T GIVE ANYONE THE EXCUSE TO NOT HELP AROUND THE HOUSE.

Ok, that's enough of that! Both Rebel With A Cause and I will touch on this from time to time.

Here's what I'd like to do for my part: I'm going to provide recipes, with step by step instructions, pretty much making it impossible to mess up a recipe, as long as you follow every step and don't look for shortcuts. The way my recipes are structured is with those shortcuts already in place. We will provide recipes for a wide range of foods, from meat to baked goods to dairy to veggies.

Very likely, RWAC (Rebel With A Cause) and I will have different takes on different things and we'll take turns posting. And that's a good thing! After all (pardon the cliche), variety is the spice of life (and the pun - spice, cooking, get it?):). The next post will be an intro from RWAC.

ENJOY!!!:)

5 comments:

Juggling Frogs said...

This is great! Have you contacted John Abbott at The Kosher Blog He's an EXCELLENT cook with a wonderful blog.

Y'all should exchange links.

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Will do! Thanks!

Jacob Da Jew said...

In Da Jew's house, I clean everything and Da Wife cooks.

'Nuff said.

Am Kshe Oref - A Stiff-Necked People said...

Dat's how it should be! Split the responsibilities. Unfortunately, in many frum homes, the wife does ALL the housework, and that just stinks!! (And it's sexist, too!!)

Anonymous said...

My name is Dan and I am Jewish. Not only do I cook but I have started a WHOLE website that is based on Men Cook 2. Its www.MenCook2.com. ( Ovoiusly meaning Men Cook too). Serously, some people dont get it. I am not trying to advertise I just thought it was an interesting blog because its exactly what I do. We basically sell camping, cooking, BBQ and more type stuff. We dont just carry stereotypical Men things like BBQ etc. We have Gourmet stuff and really are proud of our knives. Also really quality cookware sets.

Its not really directed toward Jews though, its more for all men that cook. Its so we can finally break that stupid social stigma that we shouldnt unless its flash and chef oriented.

Anyways, Id like to know what you all think if you would tell me. Im going to bookmark this and join the RSS.


Thanks!